This procedure has been developed as a mandate under the federal McKinney-Vento Homeless act. All schools are required to immediately enroll the identified homeless child, even if the child lacks records normally required for enrollment. Additional information is available in the School Bpard Policy. Records should be immediately requested from the previous school. A homeless student enrolled at school should be referred for follow up services through the student support staff at the school and/or through the Students and Families in Transition staff for the duration of the school year.
Every child has a right to a free and appropriate public education. Children in transition who fit federal definitions of homeless have a right to:
1. Immediate school enrollment and attendance with an extension of time to obtain required enrollment documents such as birth records, school records, immunizations, and or health physicals.
2. Remain at their school of origin if it is in the best interest of the child. School of origin is defined as the school where the child was attending when they became homeless. A homeless student has two choices for school enrollment: school of origin or their neighborhood zoned school.
3.Transportation to and from school of origin or neighborhood school.
4. Help for prompt dispute resolution of school placements, including special education, bilingual education, gifted, and remedial programs.
5. Receive free breakfast and lunch for the remainder of the school year.
What is the procedure for enrolling homeless children and youth in school?
1.Parent/guardian must complete school enrollment forms including a Student Residency Questionnaire Form (SRQ)
2. The SRQ Form will be used to determine if student meets definition of homeless and document a student’s residence or living situation.
3.The SRQ Form is sent to the Students and Families in Transition Team to determine elegibility.
4. School transportation and other services will be requested or arranged by the SFIT team.
5. Once qualification is determined, McKinney-Vento services are discussed and arranged by the SFIT Team.