Thinking of a career in the United States Armed Forces?
Considering a military career? Join Springstead's Air Force JROTC. See your counselor for a pass to see an instructor.
Springstead High school welcomes our military recruiters and want to facilitate student's opportunities to meet with recruiters. If you would like to speak with a recruiter, please submit your request with the link below. A military recruiter will be reaching out to you soon.
Pilot Shortage: New Air Force training program for high school students aims to combat pilot shortage. Click here to learn more.
Military Service Academies and Other Ways to Become a Military Officer
You can become an officer in the U.S. military by graduating from one of the U.S. service academies. The academies are colleges that train future commissioned officers.
Benefits and Commitments
- Tuition, room, and board are free.
- You get paid while you are attending.
- You must serve for several years in the military after you graduate, unless you go to the Merchant Marine Academy—then you have other options.
Five Service Academies
There are five military academies:
- United States Military Academy — Army
- United States Naval Academy — Navy and Marine Corps
- United States Coast Guard Academy
- United States Merchant Marine Academy
- United States Air Force Academy
How to Get Into a Military Academy
To be accepted into any service academy except for the Coast Guard Academy, you must first be nominated to the school by either:
- A U.S. Senator
- A U.S. Representative
- The Vice President of the U.S., who can nominate applicants to any academy except the Merchant Marine Academy.
How to Get Into the Coast Guard Academy
Submit an application directly. You don't need to be nominated.
Founded in 1916, ROTC stands for Reserve Officer Training Corps. It’s a college program offered at over 1,700 colleges and universities across the United States that prepares young adults to become officers in the U.S. Military. In exchange for a paid college education and a guaranteed post-college career, cadets commit to serve in the Military after graduation. As detailed below, each Service branch has its own take on ROTC.