Online Learning in Canvas
Hernando County students and teachers will be using the online platform called Canvas. This is where you will find all assignments, lessons and resources provided by teacher(s). Below are several frequently asked questions and answers to assist parents and students within Canvas.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q: How do I create a Canvas account for my child?
A: To get started, you will need a code. You can get the code in two ways:
1 - Your teacher will send you an email or contact you
2 - The master list of class codes will be posted to each schools' website by Monday, March 30th.
If your student is in ELEMENTARY SCHOOL - you will get ALL the codes you need from your HOMEROOM TEACHER.
Directions to register and log in are also posted to each schools’ website. Those directions also include how to add multiple codes if your child has more than one teacher. Here is a link to those directions: Directions for Canvas
Once you have the code, follow these steps:
Go to: https://canvas.instructure.com/register and use the link for your teacher’s class.
The FIRST time you register:
- Go to: instructure.com/register
- Select “I’m a student.”
- Enter the code you received from your teacher.
- Enter your full name.
- Create a user ID. *This should be your first and last name. For example, sallyjones
- Create a password. *Password must be a minimum of 8 characters long. Write it down so that you will not forget what it is.
- Check that you agree to the terms and enroll
- Make sure you record your username and password somewhere safe
To log back into Canvas:
You do NOT need to use an email address.
You will use the User ID and password that you created the first time you created your canvas account.
To register an ADDITIONAL code:
*repeat this portion for all of the codes you receive
- Log into Canvas at canvas.instructure.com, using the User ID and password that you created.
- Change the web address to say canvas.instructure.com/enroll/###### (replace the ##### with the additional code you have received and push enter.)
- Then click on courses on the left toolbar and then all courses.
- You should now see all courses that you have enrolled in. You will not be able to click into the course unless your teacher has published the course.
You are not able to use the Canvas app on your phone, as we are using the “free” version of canvas and the app only supports the paid version.
Here is a helpful video to help you get started submitting assignments:
Q: What type of device is needed for my child to access the online learning?
A: A desktop, laptop or tablet device will work. Some tablets will not allow access to all of the resources, though. An iPad is the best tablet device to use.
Q: Where can I access a laptop device to borrow if I don’t have one at home?
A: Schools have devices to loan out starting Friday, March 27, 2020, from 8:30am-10:30am for families with no access to any device. These will be distributed at your school. If you have a computer or tablet in your house, please understand that we can only put you on a waiting list until we are sure every family has access to at least one device. If you do borrow one, you will be asked by school staff to complete a checkout form. If you have not received the information about the device loan program, please contact your child’s school.
Q: How do I access the internet if we don’t have it available at home?
A: To find out if you are in an area where Spectrum is accessible, please click here to see your address is in a covered area: Spectrum-Hernando County.
If access is not available in your area, we may be able to assist with mobile hotspots. Those are not yet available, so check back for updates once we receive the devices.
Did you know there are also free hotspots available throughout the community? You will be able to see those hotspot locations when you enter your address through the link above.
Check out the flyer below for more information of locations that feature free WiFi:
Q: My child’s teacher wants us to use Zoom. How should my child access that, and how does it work?
A: Zoom is one of the great tools available for your child’s teacher to use! It allows them to have a virtual classroom right from your house. If your child’s teacher lets you know that he or she would like to connect on Zoom, try to have your child use headphones—it really helps with background noise. To connect to a meeting, just have your child follow these steps:
On a computer:
- Click on the meeting link your teacher sends or posts.
- If you have never used Zoom before then you will need to download and run Zoom. If you already have Zoom downloaded on your computer, then click Open zoom.us
- As soon as your teacher joins the meeting, the virtual room will pop up.
- Most likely your teacher has it set to mute everyone when they first join. You will only be able to hear your teacher at this time. He or she will not be able to hear you.
- If you need to leave the meeting early or your teachers says the meeting has come to an end, you will want to exit the room by clicking “Leave Meeting” in the lower right hand corner.
On an iPad:
- Download the Zoom Cloud Meetings app.
- There are two ways to access your meeting:
Option 1: Open the app and tap Join. Enter the meeting ID number from your teacher, and click Join.
Option 2: Click on the link your teacher sends or posts.
- Tap “Join with Video”
- Tap “Call using Internet Audio”
- If you need to leave the meeting early or your teacher says the meeting has come to an end, you will want to exit the room by clicking “Leave Meeting” in the upper left hand corner.
Q: My child's teacher said we have to use Single Sign on. How do I access that?
A: Go to this link : Single Sign On
The student’s username is: first name.last name (for example, Susie.Jones)
The password is: Capitalized initial of student’s last name, followed by the student 7 digit ID (include the zeros in front of the number to make it 7 digits). For example, if Susie Jones’ student number is 12345, then her password would be J0012345.
If you have trouble logging in, click this link for detailed instructions on resetting the password: Single Sign On
Q. We are having some technical issues. What should we do?
A: Is the issue with Canvas, Zoom, and/or accessing the coursework? If so, contact your child’s teacher. He or she can assist you.
Is the issue with the device you are using? You can contact our Help Desk for assistance. The phone number is 352-797-7111. You can also email us at ParentHelpDesk@hcsb.k12.fl.us.
Are you having trouble accessing the internet? If so, you must contact the internet provider for assistance.
Q: How do I contact my child’s teacher?
A: You can contact your child’s teacher in the same ways you did before, like through apps such as Class Dojo, Remind or email. You can also call your teacher. If you call, please allow up to 24 hours for a response.
Q: How do I access my child’s grades?
A: You can still access your child's grades through the Chalk website at Chalk. If you have not yet set up an account, please follow these directions: Chalk Set Up
Q: I want to help my child with some more resources. Are there any I can use?
A: Yes! There are quite a few free resources you can use to help support your child's learning. Check out this list for some of the many options available for your use: