Our School

Moton Elementary Facts

History of Moton Elementary

Bethlehem Baptist Church was the original location of the Brooksville School Society founded in 1868 with Mrs. Hagler as the teacher.  In 1871, it became a public school and moved to several other locations.  In 1939, it was renamed Moton School in honor of Mr. Robert Russa Moton, second President of Tuskegee Institute.  From its present location on Emerson Road, Moton continues to operate and as such is the oldest continuously operating public school in Hernando County.

Location 900 Emerson Road Built in 1956 
Location 7175 Emerson Road Built in1990
Principal - Yvonne (Mary) Brewer           
Superintendent – Dan McIntyre
Dedication ceremony was October 11, 1990. Lee Roy Selmon, former Tampa Bay Buccaneer spoke to the Moton Family on the importance of education in his own life.

Current Enrollment

  • PRE-K                        36
  • Kindergarten             109
  • 1ST Grade                  96
  • 2ND Grade                 86
  • 3RD Grade                 87
  • 4TH Grade                  81
  • 5TH Grade                  71
  • Total                          565

Principals

  • John DiRienzo Jr. 1996 – 1999
  • Donnie Moen 1999 – 2006
  • Debi (Vermette) Shellabarger 2006 – 2011
  • Mark Griffith 2011 – 2016  (Jamie Young 2016 – 2016)
  • Joseph Frana  2016 – 2018 (Brent Gaustad 2018 – 2018)
  • Patty D. Martin  2018 – Current

Present Day

  • 98 staff members
  • 5th Grade teacher Juretta Carr served as an Army Medic from 1990-1995
  • Kindergarten teacher Sonya Burns attended Moton as a Kindergartener in 1970
  • Physical Education teacher Dana Crosby attended Moton as Kindergartener in 1970

This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.